Monday, November 5, 2012

Sabbatical

This morning, I wavered between AWOL and sabbatical to name my thoughts.  My recent absence from musing was not deliberate but time that got away from me on one hand and was tendered from me by the demands of life on the other.  Monday morning would arrive, fill up like a bucket dropped in a swimming pool, sink into afternoon and evening, then float into Tuesday without any writing.  Today, I return from sabbatical with full fall splendor and a calendar with a bit of space left on it.
 
Among several, Dictionary.com offers the following entries for sabbatical.
1.  (adjective) of or pertaining or appropriate to the Sabbath
5.  (noun) any extended period of leave from one’s customary work, especially for rest, to acquire new skills or training, etc.


I took a one month period of leave from my customary writing to keep myself sane.  I do nurture myself with writing, but I knew if I frantically coveted bits of time by forcing the issue I would start acting mean, resentful, impatient.  That much I have learned about myself.  When I step too far away from life as a mother/homemaker I lose touch with how important those roles are for me. 
 
I remain, as we all do, an individual who must care for my own self, too.  But I know falling into unbalance (even toward positive pursuits) will topple the blocks of me.  One can become over attached to beneficial activities, too!  My life flows best with essential foundation stones in place.  Rest and suitable food are paramount followed by getting five people where we are supposed to be, prepared with what we need, in enough time to not feel frantic.  In the last four weeks that’s all I could manage.
 
We all have some version of a daily pie chart with 24 slices, each one hour.  We experience the tug-of-war it can take to keep that pie divided among life’s demands.   Let’s not trick ourselves into thinking we can squeeze 26 hours out of our 24 hour days.  Let’s also go easy on ourselves in terms of how much we should realistically expect to get done.  Rest is not a last thought, not time wasted.  Rest is essential.  In the biblical story of creation, God took time to rest – hence the origin of the word Sabbatical.  What more permission do we need?

 
 

Period of Leave

appropriate as the seventh day
look at that which is
done.
find it good

one in holy acts making should
alive in that which is
done.
know enough

actions always not essence stuff
see all that which is
done.
not over divide

in truth of Devine self-love reside
bow to that which is
done.
man made last

Maker did not say, do more fast
accept that which is
done.
day sufficient

work time tic to appropriate end
today that which is
done.
not tomorrow

let a next day not long to borrow
discern that which is
done.
offer rest
 
 
 
 
 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment