Monday, March 26, 2012

Test

I am currently enrolled in a class of lovely aspiring teachers.  The midterm exam is upon us.  It is described as a written examination designed to evaluate comprehension of material covered up to this point.  I have not taken a test of this kind in two decades.
Dictionary.com offers the following for the noun test.
1.  the means by which the presence, quality, or genuineness of anything is determined; a means of trial
2.  the trial of the quality of something
3.  a particular process or method for trying or assessing
4.  a set of questions, problems, or the like, used as a means of evaluating the abilities, aptitudes, skills, or performance of an individual or group; examination
As anxieties over the impending test were discussed I mentally departed the fretful dialogue to ask my external observer for her take on things.  She said, “Name what a test is.  Name what a test is not.” 
A test is a written set of questions, a normal part of taking a class.  A test is a tool for school mentors to evaluate the amount of information learned in their course.  A test is indicative of my performance in one area not in my life at large.  A test is something that requires preparation.  A test is not punishment.  A test is not an indication if the instructor likes me or not.  A test is not to determine if I am smart in general.  A test is not for telling me I am a success or failure in life.  A test is not a party, a vacation, a gold medal or a death threat.  A test is what it is and any other power it possesses is given it by the person scratching their number two pencils across its pages.
Am I thrilled over the set of questions ahead?  Nope.  I may have a headache during the test.  My dinner may not be digesting comfortable.  Life may have sucked me dry that day and I may just not be in the mood.  I likely will not have all the time I want to spend reflecting on my notes and handouts. 
So what is a student to do?  Study.  Reread.  Breathe.  Move through the material.  And know most of the time we are able to do so much more than that for which we give ourselves credit. 

Questions
Is there a God who knows why or all the answers
problems on the test of patience in showing a high grade
or fever when really the point, the success is finding
confidence in what you are uniquely capable of and can do
because nobody can instill matter if too afraid to be
tested with temporary parchment in fire fanned by breath



No comments:

Post a Comment